We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This is a warm salad of spinach, fennel and chicken livers cooked to perfection. Enjoy with white wine and crusty baguette.
7 people made this
- 125g spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1 bulb fennel - trimmed, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 450g chicken livers, trimmed and sliced
- 125ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- Divide spinach between 4 salad plates.
- In a large deep frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add fennel and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from frying pan; set aside.
- In same frying pan, heat remaining butter with olive oil; add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken livers; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink in centre.
- Return fennel to frying pan. Add stock, anchovies, capers, sage, salt and pepper; cook over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced slightly.
- Spoon mixture over individual salads and garnish with fennel leaves. Serve immediately.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(4)
Reviews in English (3)
I approached this recipe with trepidation. I had fresh fennel and was looking for a recipe, and we like liver (I fear we may be in the minority, here). It seemed like such an unusual mix of ingredients, I had to try it. There was pizza in the freezer, just in case! I followed the recipe with these exceptions: I only used half the olive oil (but all the butter) called for, I used mesclun greens instead of spinach, and anchovy paste instead of the anchovy fillets. We loved it. It didn't taste as unusual as the ingredients might have led one to expect. The fennel, once cooked, is very mild in flavor. It's a lovely, savory tasting dish which goes together in minutes. Definitely would make it again.-07 Jul 2004
I liked this dish as did my two boys (I had my doubts about them but made it anyway). I too was looking for something different to do with fennel and thought this looked good...and talk about healthy! Liver and spinach in one dish! I didn't have capers but substituted with green olive tapenade that was on hand. I also didn't use as much oil but otherwise stuck to the recipe as written. It was quick and easy to make and definitely will make it again.-01 Jun 2007
Individually the ingredients are fine; collectively it did not work. The chicken liver flavor dominated. Next time I will make pate from the liver and but the fennel in a cold salad. This was a one and done.-06 Jul 2009